Posted by: Muntu | 2008-11-20

Hiv+ and pregnant

I' m 29 weeks pregnant and has just found out that I' m Hiv+, the problem is my medical aid is delaying the process of me getting into any hiv program, so I would like to know if my baby is in any danger if I don' t take the tablets because I see time is running out. What exactly is the right time for me to take the retrovirals? Is there some tablets I can take to prevent the baby or a place I can go to (Pretoria) for the tablets just I until my medical aid approves my application. If I don' t take the tablets, does that mean my baby is autmatically infected? I' m scared for the baby.

You are right that you should be starting ARvs and that the chances of your baby being infected are higher (not 100%) if you do not. You can ask your doctor to prescribe them and you can get them from any pharmacy, but you would have to pay for them yourself.

Posted by: Light | 2008-11-20

1st of all congrats,
Visit your clinic, they will do CD4 count test and Viral load, you will be given Nevarapine which you will take evryday till brth, for your baby you' ll be given a syrup which she/he' ll drink for 6 weeks. you can also take Pregnavit. i was in your situation and my daughter is 2yrs and negative. and i didn' t breastfeed and i had a caesar. if in doubt please speak you your Dr, ask questions.

Reply to Light