Posted by: Cherrie | 2008-10-30

Hiv and pregnancy

Both me and my partner are hiv+ and now i am pregnant. Before my pregnancy i was taking arvs now i have stopped them because of my pregnancy. What are the chances of my baby contracting the virus. I know of the drugs that i should take to prevention the contraction but would like to know when one should take them. and because both parents are hiv+ what are the chances of the baby being healthy and what precautions should be taken for the baby' s safety.

It is your HIV status which affects the baby. Without any ARVs the transmission to the baby is 15-30%. The best way to prevent transmission is to use HAART. Just check with your doctor about the exact drugs.

Posted by: Su | 2008-10-30

What medication were you on and how pregnant are you?because if you were place on on-going treatment you are not supposed to stop taking the ARVs since the functions of the ARVs are to fight the virus-I' d advise you that you go back to your Dr so that he/she can be able to see if the meds that you were taking were safe for the baby-(also make sure that you and your partner go back on the condoms since-you can also be at risk of re-infections).The chances of you baby testing positive would be less if you are taking the ARVs than when you are NOT taking any ARVs-Your gynea would advise you to give birth caesarean section-than normal birth since this reduce the risk of the baby testing positive-(Normal birth-there is alot of bllod that is involved and your baby can get cuts during birth from the pushing and your blood can therefore enter the baby-C/s-your gynea will just incise you and take the baby out and there isn' t alot of blood involved there-I would advise you to see your GP or gynea for further infor-

Reply to Su