Question
Posted by: Rene | 2010-04-13

HIV +

Today I chatted to a collegue of mine regarding her dramatic recent weight lost. I asked her if anything is wrong or if there is anything bothering her.

She started crying and told me that she is having problem at home etc.

I know that her son was very ill recently and I asked how he is doing, he is 7 months old but about two months ago he had a really bad stomach bug and lost 5kg ( he only weight 11kg).

She lost a lot of weight the 2 weeks that he was in the hospital and I just assumed that it was because of stress. However the weight lost has not stopped at the moment she is just skin and bones.

She then told me that she is HIV+ and that she thinks her weight loss has something to do with that. The other thing that she mentioned is that " after giving birth"  she can not tolerate certian foods as they physically make her sick. She get a runny tummy and brings the food up as well, this is also followed with a rash all over her body. Food that she has developed a reaction to is red meat and any diary products.

She also said that she does not feel hungry and mostly just eat two slices a bread a day.

She is on medication for the HIV.

I told her to make an appointment at the clinic and to go and see them and tell them about her recent weight loss (12kg in 2 months). At the moment she weighs 41kg.

Is there anything that you suggest we do in the meantime, prior to her getting to the clinic.

She is not well off, but I will assist with getting her suplements.

Will something like ensure work? Can she mix it with water as milk makes her sick.

Kind Regard
Rene

Hallo Rene
If possible, club together in the office or between a few friends and ask your pharmacy to try and get hold of Sibusiso ready food for her (there is a depot in Pretoria west)- but it is expensive. It looks like peanut butter and contains all the nutrients they need. Alternatively look at Dischem, they have special food supplements for HIV and chronically ill patients that can be mixed with water.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010-04-13

Hallo Rene

Reply to cyberdoc