Posted by: Anon | 2010-01-18

Hi Doctor

I have posted this question to CyberDoc but am still not 100% sure of what all this means and so I apologise for repeating a question but I am really hoping to get some clarity and thereby put my mind at ease.

In Sept last year I had an HIV test done at Ampath labs. The results came back as non-reactive. However there was a strange comment underneath the result that said something along the lines of " the serological findings of the above patient indicated a reactive ELISA test for HIV, this is just a screening test and confirmation should be done with a Western Blot"  but the result definately says non- reactive. Could there be an error in the result and they actually meant to write reactive? I really don' t understand the conflicting information.

Then in December last year I went for another HIV test, this time at Lancet Labs and I did an Abbott 4th generation test which came back negative.

Please doctor could you tell me what the story is, am I HIV negative and why did the first result come back with that strange comment?

I am feeling very anxious about this and don' t know what to think.

Many thakns

Dear Anon
In counselling before HIV testing it is important to reinforce that there can be three possible results when one does an HIV test 1. negative 2.positive 3.indeterminate, All tests should be repeated if you in the window period and a positive test is always repeated with a more sensitive test eg Western blot for confirmation .

if you have had a negative result and are worried it is important that you repeat it or do PCR test (more expensive )