Posted by: unsure | 2009-07-30

hiv +

i have had unprotected sex for 3 yearsnow ( nearly every night) with an hiv-positive woman and have not been infected. is there a reason ? i do have hiv test done every 3 months but stay negative.Its not that i do what it.Nobody wants it. i just want to know why i have not got it after 3 years. please no snotty comments only doc pls.

Apologies for the late reply- scheduling problem on our side
there are 2 people involved in this - so wee need to look at both of you to find an answer
YOU:some people have a high resistance to HIV ( ie. high natural immunity) and can tollerate more exposure to the virus before infection occurs. So for some it takes many exposures and for others a few. You may be one of those
YOUR PARTNER: the partner is is only able to infect you through the transmission of virus - the more virus there is to transmit, the higher the possibility of passing it on. Your partner is on ARV'S and therefore has a low a viral load in the vaginal secretions - there might not be enough virus to pass on.
NB The risk still exists as you well know
Universal treatment has been advocated as a prevention technique on a global basis
dont worry about the snotty replies received - most people die of ignorance!

Posted by: hiv+ | 2009-08-04

thanks for getting back to me doctor and the info.much appeciation

Reply to hiv+
Posted by: hiv+ | 2009-08-04

to hiv+ too. thanks for your postive advise. and stay healthy

Reply to hiv+
Posted by: HIV + too | 2009-08-03

Hallo Unsure. Forget the snotty remarks. Having unprotected sex is your choice of course, although many would consider it stupid. The point is, she is on ARV’ s and if the viral load becomes undetectable due to the use of ARV’ s there is a possibility that transmission might not occur. You are still at risk though. Even if the count is called undetectable, it does not mean she is cured, it is just a medical term meaning the count is so low that it is considered undetectable. It is related to the practice of giving ARV’ s to pregnant mothers before birth, thus pushing the viral load down and preventing transmission to the unborn child. My advise, better condom up, you are pushing your luck. The viral load can jump due to various reasons and factors, one being the building of ré sistance by your friend to certain ARV’ s, stress, emotional issues, etc. I have been living with HIV for 16 years and have never been healthier. Be safe

Reply to HIV + too
Posted by: hiv+ | 2009-08-03

as i said before kelly mind your own business and keep your snotty comments to yourself. just coz someone has hiv does not make them a bad person.start looking at yourself before judging poeple with this problem as you don' t know how they got it and you not immune to it too and read more on hiv and arv' s then you can talk.till then keep your snotty comments to yourself you selfish woman. and as for GO we all die some day boet you not immune. now i want the doctors opinion not from you who think you know thank you. thanks leila for your comment.atleast there are some decent people out there

Reply to hiv+
Posted by: Kelly | 2009-08-03

Why on earth would you have unprotected sex if you know you would get it too?
Do you not value your life enough?
Or do you love her that mush that you want to be hiv+ with her...
I do not get it.Anyways its your choice just dont go invfecting anyone else.

Reply to Kelly
Posted by: MPK | 2009-07-31

The reason for that is men do not receive from men during intercourse hence you are not infected..women are the ones who receive semen from men during the act..but be careful dude else u will be infected soon..take necessary precautions neh!!

Reply to MPK
Posted by: go | 2009-07-31

go on you will soon die shame man....

Reply to go
Posted by: unsure | 2009-07-31

yes i do love her very much and she has a hart of gold.and yes she has test done every 6 months she is on arv' s. she has been living with it for 6 years now and is very healthy.

Reply to unsure
Posted by: Mr G | 2009-07-30

Has your partner' s diagnoses been confirmed again? It might be that they falsely tested het positive. This does happen from time to time.

Reply to Mr G
Posted by: Leila | 2009-07-30

I have no idea how you are not HIV+ but what I will say, is that you must love your partner very much to have unprotected sex knowing there is a possibility of transmisssion.

I admire you.

Reply to Leila