Question
Posted by: 1812 overture for wings | 2009-07-23

HIV

My boyfriend and i have had sex for a few months now. we recently had sex while i was on my menstrual period.... Like the last day of my menstrual cycle. And that was the only time. We are both healthy, but i am worried because I have heard recently that you can get HIV by having sex during a girl' s menstrual period. Is that true? And if so, is there a chance that we might get it? Just by doing it twice during the menstrual period?

you can only contract HIV if a partner is already infected wih the virus. if a partner is HIV positive, sex during the menstrual cycle is highly risky for the virus is transmitted through blood.

both of you should get tested so that you know your status. if you are not in a committed relationship you should ensure that a condom is always worn during sex.