Question
Posted by: angie | 2009-01-22

hit a wall

Hi there!

I'  ve hit a wall in my weight loss mission. I'  m 1.52m tall (or short) and weigh 55kg. I'  d like to get down to 50kg.

I'  ve been eating really healthily for the past 2 weeks (even on weekends), and I haven'  t lost any weight.

I either have a yoghurt or boiled egg for breakkie, a chicken salad (green leaves with grilled chicken pieces) for lunch, and then fish or chicken for supper. I'  m being very conscious about how I prepare food, so it'  s either grilled, or I use olive oil. And then I have 2-3 cups of tea or coffee a day with half a teaspoon of brown sugar and milk.

And I havn'  t lost anything! I'  m feeling so dispondant! I don'  t know what else I can do. I just need to lose 5kg and it won'  t shift.

What sorts of exercise will help to shift this weight?

Hi Angie

I'm not sure whether you have just started out or whether the last two weeks is the latest part of your mission? If it's only 2 weeks, than that is too soon for you to start seeing any changes, and you need to give it more time. That's particularly true given that you don't have a huge amount of weight to lose. It's easy for someone to go from 110 kg to 100 kg, not as simple to drop 1kg when you're down at 55kg.

So in terms of training, you need a programme that is based around cardio training, including walking, jogging, cycling, perhaps aerobics, depending on what you have access to. My advice would be to check out the programmes on the Health 24 fitness page.

Click on "Fitness", then on 'Programmes' and choose one of these training programmes. My advice would be to choose the walking or running programmes (the first or second one) and then go for them. Also look through the Fitness section, because there is a loads of useful information there that will help you. Bascially, what you need to aim for regular exercise, and be consistent.

As far as exercise goes, it is the cardio training, like cycling, running, stepping, aerobics, walking etc. that is most helpful in losing weight. All these activities cause heart rate to go up, and are increasing your body's metabolic rate, which ultimately causes you to lose weight by burning more fat (again, assuming you are also eating well). So I would say you should continue with what you are doing, keep focussed on the cardio. I think that 4 times a week is the minimum you should aim to exercise, five is probably the ideal number, but four is fine too. The intensity you train is also very important. A lot of times, people train a little too easy, perhaps. I am not saying you should go out and push super hard and exhaust yourself every day, but stepping up the intensity once or twice a week is certainly a good thing. You should aim for a total of 45 minutes or so (anything between 30 and 50 minutes is a good average), and you should finish each session feeling tired, but not exhausted. If you do that, and you eat well, then you should lose weight.

Then diet is really important and I just think that you're probably lacking something there. You are probably not eating enough, which has the effect of slowing your body's metabolic rate down and preventing weight loss. It's not a simple case of eating the right foods, you also need to control portion sizes and amounts, and I really think you need to consider seeing a dietician about this and have them provide a diet.

Finally, you have only been doing this for 2 weeks and as I said up front, that is a blink of an eye in weight loss terms. You need another goal, because if you measure yourself by the scale, you lose. So rather focus on getting fitter, on feeling better and assessing yourself on those terms.