Question
Posted by: Lee | 2011/10/18

Histerectomy

Good day,

I experienced severe abdominal pain and after an ultrasound it was discovered that I have a 3cm fybroid on my uterus. My gynae recommends that I undergo a hysterectomy (with the uterus and fallopian tubes being removed) via the key hole method.

I am new with this gynae and am just a bit concerned that the right thing is being done. I do not plan any more kids (I am 35 and have 2 kids), I do experience pain sometimes during sex and I do believe that the dr would not suggest this if it was not necessary - I am just very scared for this operation. Is it very dangerous?

Will this operation have any long term side effects on my hormones? Will I go into menopause earlier?

Please doctor - any advice would be appreciated.

A 3 cm fibroid is quite small and fibroids of this size do not usually cause pain unless there is some complication. Check with your gynae if he thinks this is the cause of the pain.
Hysterectomies have complications as any operation could, though they are not frequent. Women often have a slightly earlier menopause if they have had a hysterectomy.

1