Posted by: Taya | 2009-02-22

hirsutism ruining my life

Hi Doc I am a 35 yr old woman with body hair everywhere, in a male pattern. I have twice been checked for PCOS, nothing. I am not on any medications. Anti-androgen medication did not help (I tried Androcur). I have tried taking Diane for years, to no effect. I tweeze my chin every day, wax every 7 days and use depilatories and epilators every ten days or so. On areas of hair removal the skin is ruined from so much stress yet if I left it alone, I would look like a freak. I have had this problem for 15 years (since early adulthood) and am the only one in the family with it. Also I now am real worried cos suddenly I am losing hair from the sides of my scalp too? This comes at a time my body hair is going especially crazy. I don' t feel feminine, I don' t feel attractive and I have not risked being in a relationship for 7 years. All I will risk is random sexual encounters - fast ones where the man will not have time to realise the extent of the problem. They are always once offs. Every day I check various body spots to see where new hair is growing. I remove constantly from chin, nipples, chest, abdomen, groin area, upper thighs, butt cheeks, armpits, everywhere. Doctors and endocrinologists have not been able to help esp as I absolutely do not have PCOS.

I often feel suicidal, what can I do, please? It is markedly worse over the past 6 months and as I said I am also suddenly losing hair around the temples.

pls pls advise

Dear Taya
See this article:

Have you had examinations to determine whether there are any abnormalities of the thyroid, adrenal glands and did you have a scan to see if you have any tumours on the ovaries or adrenal glands? Did you have an ACTH-stimulation test? If not I think you should get a second opinion from another endocrinologist.

There are medications that you can use in combination with anti-androgens, like Aldactone that may suppress hair growth.
Let me know if you need to see another endocrinologist - where do you live?