Posted by: Samuel | 2009-03-23

Hirnia above belly button

I am 45 years old and is a ex body builder. I have a hirnia as big as a golf ball right above my belly button. I am told that I need to be totally still for 6 weeks after my opperation and then another 2 months of taking it easy. I shall never be able to pick up heavy objects again and I am not 100% garuanteed that the op will be successfull. I weigh 108 kilos and is 1.62 m short and as a result of my weight will the hirnia come back again. Is this true ?. The reasone for my question is that I have no medical aid and need to pay cash for this op. I can not afford to redo this op in a hurry.

Dear Samuel
A hernia is caused by a weak spot in the fibrous area between the abdominal muscles. With the operation, the area is stitched close and you have to wait until the area has totally healed before picking up heavy weights again, as it may recur. Do you weigh 108 kg of muscle or are your overweight? Getting rid of unnecessary fat will help to prevent a hernia from recurring. Anything that increases the pressure inside the abdomen can cause the hernia to recur so lifting heavy objects is a risk. You don't have to lie still after the operation but you won't be able to exercise actively with weights for 6 weeks - you will be able to walk, or ride a stationary bicycle, and do light exercises with your arms though.