Posted by: Friday | 2010-04-30

Hip/lower back pain and running

Hi there Cyberdoc

I really don''t know who to ask for guidance anymore. Firstly, i''m pretty stubborn with regard to going to a doctor..but here goes:
I ran (before this happened) 3 times a week - long distance...but after a 10k race (which isnt supposed to be a challenge due to my training), i got a pain in my hip and lower back - it migrates from back to hip and vice versa. The pain increases when i weight bear, and now whenever i try to run, i can''t do so at my usual pace. i am so frustrated but dont want to see a doctor for nothing, ie i''d only go if i literally couldnt walk.

what could it be and MUST i go to a physio or sports physician (it''s been 2.5 weeks since that race).

I suggest that you consult a sports physician for x-rays of your lower back and hip. It is possible that you have Iliotibial band syndrome of the hip, which commonly effects runners, due to the constant flexion and extension of the knee and rubbing of the iliotibial band over the "hip joint".

Please refer to the following link for more details of Iliotibial band syndrome:

It is also possible that you have bursitis of the hip, which is not as common in runners but it can also explain your symptoms and it is usually under diagnosed. Refer to the following link: