Question
Posted by: Maddy | 2011/03/15

hipertireose

Hi Doc. Recently I have had my yearly blood check ups. The comment at the end reads as follows: (it is in Afrikaans) Tiroiedfunksies:
=> TSH *L 0.08 0.25-4.00 mIU/1
=> Vry T4 13.2 6.8-18.0 pmo1/1
=> Kommentaar

Die resultate is verdag van vroee/subkliniese primere hipertireose.
Tiroiedhormoon-oorvervanging of onlangse hipertireose kan soortgelyke resultate veroorsaak. VT3-bepaling is aangedui. Opvolg word aanbeveel oor 3-6 maande.
Can you please explain what this is all about. I take eltroxin 0.05mg 4x a week and eltroxin 0.1mg a day. What is this VT3? I was at the doctor for the results, he did not mention anything about this, why must this be checked again in 3 - 6 months? and what is hipertireose? Please can you explain this to me? Thank you.

Hallo Maddy
It means that you are maybe getting in too much thyroid hormone supplement - the VT3 is free Triiodothyronine (T3).The free (unbound) portion of triiodothyronine (free T3) is the "active" part of thyroid hormone causing physical effects. It is still only slightly elevated, therefor the suggestion to test it again in 3 months to see if it increases more, then the Eltroxin dosage should be reduced. Hipertireose is hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid)http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001396/

4
Posted by: Maddy | 2011/03/17

Can you please tell me what an overactive thyroid does? What the sympoms are? IS there any danger in it if left? Is it nesseccary to have the blood tests done again between 3 - 6 months?

Reply to Maddy
Posted by: Maddy | 2011/03/16

Can you please tell me what an overactive thyroid does? What the symptoms are. Is there any danger in it if left? or if I do not go for another test after 6 months?

Reply to Maddy
Posted by: Maddy | 2011/03/15

Thank you doc, now can you also please tell me what an overactive thyroid does? What the symptoms are. Is there any danger in it if left? or if I do not go for another test after 6 months?

Reply to Maddy
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/03/15

Hallo Maddy