Question
Posted by: Verna | 2009/10/19

Hip transplant

I am taking a long shot here. A question was asked on the approximate amount a person with no medical aid will need to pay for a hib transplant. Unfortunately a person cannon get an estimate from the doctors because they insist first doing an examination but we only want to know in what region the cost will be i.e between 20 - 40k or more, or less?

Can you MAYBE help, know it is not a real health related question.

Hallo Verna
It will depend on which hospital they use and what their cost per bed and theatre time will be. You will be looking at around R100 000 per joint in total (including all tests,surgeon and anaesthetists fees, prosthesis etc.)
See http://thejointventure.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4&Itemid=4

3
Posted by: John | 2009/10/19

Me again. The transplant was in March 2009.

Reply to John
Posted by: John | 2009/10/19

My mom had a hip transplant. If you go to a gov. hosp. you can wait up to 3 years. If you pay the " hip"  they can help you 3-4 months. I paid R13000. That was the ceapest from 3 quotes.
There are more expensive ones up to R30k
The op, dr, hosp were for free as gov. patient. It was done in the Paarl Prov. Hosp. and the hosp. was clean and treatment good. Food also good.

If you are paying for every thing they can help you almost tomorrow. My guess is about 40-50k Rand

Reply to John
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/10/19

Hallo Verna

Reply to cyberdoc