Question
Posted by: sam | 2008/09/01

hip replacement operation

im 34 had a motorbike accident , need a hip replacement on left side, my dr advises me that with the new technology available in RSA that i wud most likely if nothing goes haywire again not need another one. he is replacing the ball and cup with a Steel ball and it doesnt get semented in but allows bone marrow to grow into and through,which means that its better for me,my Q whats the pros and cons of this ,my current pain is to much to mention,and what wud my mobility be after the op??? he has given me my answers but id like a 2nd opinion if possible

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Sam,

You may not have realised that as the "Shoulder Doc", my specialty is shoulder problems. There are a number of very good hip surgeons in our country and such a specialist would be better qualified to express such an opinion. As a shoulder surgeon I am not in a position to give you a second opinion for your hip problem

best regards,

Joe de Beer