Question
Posted by: doris hoon | 2010/04/17

hip replacement

I would like to know if there are any early symptons relating to the possibility of having hip problem which may end up as a hip replacement necessity.

I am 72 years old, very active, physically and mentally - have various old age " things "  like blood pressure, underactive thyroid all these under control.
I suffered from painful hips, mainly the left one, after the birth of my second child some 41 years ago  this was diagnosed as sciatica, which bothered me intermitently for 20 years and then suddenly just disappeared.
However for the last 5 years I have once again periodic left hip pain - more of a burning pain, sore sore, but not unbearable pain.
I do not take painkillers at all as I feel it is not that bad and usually just have one Panado - this helps. This pain is not every day and is not continuous with or without the Panado.
I am not overweight - 67kg - on my legs most of the day as I am a busy person. Retired, but active at our Retirement Centre.

My reason for all this is that I would like to educate myself on any possible hip problem with such a sympton perhaps so that I am aware of any possible future problems. Sorry for being so longwinded.

sincere thanks for any advice you can give me
kind regards
doris hoon

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

The pain can be due to a problem in the hip which could be due to arthritis and the best and most accurate way to determine that would be to have an X-ray of your hip

2
Posted by: doris hoon | 2010/04/21

thank you for your response - i will be guided accordingly

many thanks
doris hoon

Reply to doris hoon
Posted by: Orthopaedic Specialist Forum | 2010/04/18

Reply to Orthopaedic Specialist Forum