Question
Posted by: Di | 2008/09/09

Hip Replacement

I need a second opinion, my mother is in a lot of pain due to her left hip. She went to a dr and they said her lungs are not strong and she is overweight. she weighs about 110kg she can not lose weight bcause she dont even move a lot bcause of the hip. But then they said she can go for a stomach op to lose weight??? how can the risk of a hip be high &  not a stomach op??
Thanks!!

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Di
The fact of the matter is that the hip operation might not be successful because of the overweight situation and they are probably suggesting hyperbaric surgery to help her lose weight in order to be able to have the hip surgery. Maybe you can clarify this with her surgeon?