Posted by: Cindy | 2010-06-21

Hip problems

I''ve had problems with my one hip for a few months now. I have been to many doctors and for x-rays but no one can seem to find out what is wrong. The xrays show that it is not a bone problem.

They suspect snapping hip syndrome as my hip makes a clicking noise when I stand up. Although a lot of the pain has gone and I can walk fine without a limp, it starts to hurt when I walk long distances. I''m not sure where to from here, as it has become a burden in my life. I''m young and feel it is stopping me from enjoying many activites.

I would like to go back to exercising, but not sure what is safe to do and what isn''t. Obviously I would steer clear from the treadmill, but would other excerises such as swimming, rowing etc. be ok and gentle on my hip? Thanks very much for your help. I''m 26 year old female.

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

Yes the exercises which you mention would be safe for your hip.If your specialists are sure that the diagnosis is a snapping hip it can usually be treated without operation but with stretching, cortisone injection etc. In certain resistant cases a surgical procedure can be done for snapping hip. If there is doubt about the diagnosis you should be seen by a hip specialist who does hip arthroscopy as there are certain conditions of the cartilage inside the hip causing such symptoms