Question
Posted by: Amber | 2011/03/08

Hip pain during Menstral Cycle normal?

hi! Really hope you can help...
I''ve always suffered from extreme period pain. so much so that I literally become faint if I do not take painkillers. S2 meds rarely work, and I''m delighted if I can find a S5 that''s the only thing that takes the pain away. However, I''ve recently starting developing severe pain in my hips (especially the right side) I find that direct heat is a relief, but painkillers don''t help much. Do I need to consult a gynae? Is this normal? I''m 27, use to be extremely overweight (I''m now about 20kg''s from my goal-weight), and I also started to do Pilates recently, which could also be contributing to the pain  although I don''t experience any pain if not on my menstrual cycle. I''ve also never been pregnant. (if it helps with an analysis)
thanking you in advance for your advice :)

If the pain started with the Pilates then it is probably related. There tends to be more laxity of ligamenst around period time, so this may explain the timing. Have you tried Ponstan for the period symptoms.

1