Question
Posted by: Sharon | 2008/08/18

Hip pain

Hi I am a runner, 21' 1km distances only, last year I started with pain in the left buttock and was confirmed by mri scan to have slight bulging on l4 and l5 I have not done any running since january just biokenetics, physio etc. I have now started with a walking program from August, my problem is that I have servere pain when sleeping in both sides of my hips, I find it difficult to lie on any one of my sides and it is difficult to lie on my back, I thought maybe if I started getting active again by walking it will help some, but if I skip one day then the pain seems to be more servere, I lke normally to lie in a bit on weekends but this has become impossible, is this still a result of the back or is it because I am not that active anymore, what can i do to ease it.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Sharon
I think you should have this problem assessed again as I am not sure that is due to the same cause as before. Activity is definitely recommended, but try as little high impact as you can- the walking is excellent exercise. You could have a bit of osteo-arthritis, but as I mentioned- please have it checked out again.