Posted by: Bronwynn | 2009-09-05

hip, knee and lower back pain after hip dislocation in 2003 due to MVA

Hi, I was in a terrible MVA in 2003 and suffered a dislocated hip which was subsequently treated by closed reduction, was in a hip brace for 6 weeks and crutches for about two months. There was some fragments in the joint and a dent in one of the bones. However over the years this seems to have healed as per the xrays. Why then do i suffer from knee pain, hip pain and lower back? The orthodpaedic has discovered that there were hairline arthritis in my lower back and cannot say if this is due to the accident. However, i did not have any symptoms at all prior to the accident. When looking a the xrays the orthopaedics dont see anything concerning, yet I wake up with pain in my whole leg at night, often feel stabbing pains when walking after having sat for 30 minutes or longer, have lower back pain which becomes so bad, i have to sit or it feels like i cant breathe. I had a MRI done and there is no pressure on the sciatica, my leg' s mobility is not full circle like the other one, I also had a arthroscopy done 2 years ago, yet this has not done much for the symptoms.
My job comprises of sitting and standing most of the time and it is terribly uncomfortable, which makes my life miserable, yet I am not disabled, crippled or handicapped, just sore and more sore in places I have neve been sore prior to the MVA. I have been for several orthopaedic opinions and apart from a corterzone injection and anti inflammatories, they cannot give me a way forward. What can I do to reduce the pain without feeling lethargic and will things get worse? I am 36 accident happened at age 30.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Hi Bronwynn
It does sound as if you have some wear and tear changes in the joints and this may or not be as a result of the MVA. remember we all seem to start getting a bit of wear and tear changes in the joints as we age. I do know that the more active you are, the better it seems to get. Have you tried gentle mobilising exercises like pilates? You have had all possible tests done and it doesn't show any structural abnormalities, but the more pain you experience, the less you move around and the stiffer and more painful your joints become. You can also try some heat packs when the pain is bad and try to get up and move around every 15 minutes or so when you are at work. Anti-inflammatories shouldn't really make you feel lethargic and you can take a course of 5-7 days when your pain is more severe. The only thing I can really recommend is exercise, but go to an expert and don't do too much high impact. Stretching and muscle strengthening exercises are better.