Posted by: Anonymous1111 | 2009-04-29

Hip joints hurt

Dear Doctor,
I have a problem with my joints. I walk a lot (at least 2 hours a day) and stand a lot because of my work, and when I' m not walking or standing, I usually sit leaning slightly on my back against the back of my bed and read before sleeping. I thought that was okay, but everyday after 5pm or so I start feeling intense pain in my hip joints. It' s constant pain mixed with more intense pain that happens every few minutes and feels like a needle going through the bone. And at the end of the day, my hips and my whole legs hurt and feel extremely tired. I' m worried because I' m only 24. I' m a woman, I' m thin (right on the line between healthy weight and underweight) and I try to eat foods that give me the right amounts of calcium etc. What is causing this problem? I also get pain in my neck very often, so I wonder if one of my legs is slightly shorter than the other and is causing some inbalance in my whole body. Or are these symptoms normal, considering that I walk a lot? The symtoms are not new (I have them for years) but people older than me told me yesterday that they don' t feel any of these.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Anonymous1111
I suggest you see a rheumatologist who can properly examine you and send you for some blood tests and x-rays if necessary. It is extremely difficult for me to make a sensible suggestion if i cannot see you. Ask your doctor to refer you.