Question
Posted by: Bee | 2009/11/21

Hip joint abnormal due to accident

Hi doc, please can you tell me why my hip joint feels so uncomfortable. I had a hip dislocation in an mva 7 years ago, and since then nothing has been the same. after having it disclosed and excruciating pain to follow, I thought it would be back to normal. However I experience severe pain in winter, general pain in the groin, in thigh, and even in my knee. I dont have full rotation of the hip and the orthopaedics cant do much for me as the hip is not bad enough for a replacement. Do I just live with these symptoms? Many times after sitting and getting up it feels like the ball joint is out of place and theres a rolling of a ball sensation in the front of the fold between my pubic and thigh. I use arthrochoice and osteochoice, however the pain is always there.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Bee

2
Posted by: Healthy Bones | 2009/11/24

Dear Bee

Reply to Healthy Bones
Posted by: Healthy Bones | 2009/11/24

Dear Bee
It sounds as if there is some wear and tear changes (osteo-arthritis) in the hips following you MVA. The orthopaedic guys have certain criteria before they do a hip replacement, but you can always go for a second opinion. In the meantime you must try to stay as mobile as possible and do low-impact exercise (walking) as well as mobilising exercises like Pilates. If you are a bit overweight it can also have a negative impact on the joints and even a few kilos can make a difference.
Hope this helps?

Reply to Healthy Bones