Posted by: Natalie | 2010-06-21

Hip Infection still not under control

This is the third question regarding my Gran. Two weeks ago they removed the prosthesis and implanted a spacer. The infection is still not under control - she is currently in Surgery to remove that spacer and put in a new one. As a family we are so frustrated and concerned. She has been in hospital for 7 weeks trying to clear up the infection. What is the worst case scenario if the infection doesn''t clear? It is so difficult to speak to the Doctors at Albert Luthuli as they don''t seem to have open communication with family members and just brush you off.

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

I am not sure if the mentioned hospital is a State hospital, but it is unforgivable for treating physicians not to communicate with patients and their families. You should approach the hospital administration to help you to get answers. If she is a private patient you are entitled to a second opinion in such a serious case

Posted by: Anita | 2010-06-30

Had the same thing..... " Staph"  bug.... I was refered to a Specialist in PTA who gave me 2 choices remove the hip for 3 months or try aggresive antibiotic treatment. I opted for the antibiotics. Cloxin was first used but was then changed to Rimactane and Orpic. (Different strenghs depending on the CRP count)((Blood count)) It took six long months to clear the worst of the infection........ A year later, I am still tacking the Antibiotics but seem fine and still have my prothesis. ..... With the right Doctor and the right Meds - the infection can be cleared.

Reply to Anita