Posted by: jane botha | 2009-09-14

hip fracture

my friend, age 63 fell and broke her pelvis, the docter only said that she must lay on her back for 4-6 weeks and take some painkillers, we would like to know a bit more about how to care for her, she cant get up at all, because of too much pain, how can we help her, please reply as we dont know anything of this sort, thank you

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Jane
Healing time for fractures differ from person to person. Bedrest is usually the treatment of choice with of course painkillers, but she needs to become a bit more mobile after a while and I suggest you contact a physiotherapist who can advise you as to the passive exercise and movements that she can do while in bed.
It also depends on whether it is a stable fracture (one that did not require fixation with screws etc) or and unstable fracture. Stable fractures usually only require total bedrest for a few days, whereas unstable fractures require surgery and longer bedrest. Prolonged bedrest can cause quite a number of complications like DVT's, pulmonary thrombosis, constipation etc and foot and ankle exercises, high fiber intakes etc can help prevent this, but first find out how stable/unstable the fracture is and get a second opinion on treatment if you're not sure.