Question
Posted by: desperate ironman | 2009/10/20

hip flexor injury not getting better

Dear Doc,

Hi I have a sports injury that noone in the health professions seems to be able to help me with: I am at my wits end! I have been to see a physiotherapist, a podiatrist, biokineticist and a medical doctor and I am fed up.

I am a triathlete and I completed my first Ironman Triathlon this year. I have been a cyclist for many years. About 3 months ago now, I was doing a 10km run on a treadmill and I had my ipod lying on the treadmill in front of me and was running slightly uncomfortably\, with the ipod getting in my way on the left. Ever since that day I have had pain in my left hip flexor and it was at first worst on running but now it is even there when I am not running and just walking. I have been given Celebrex and all sorts of non-steroidals, but I feel like nothing is treating the cause. It is more of a generalized pain to the front of my thigh, bit when I feel for the hip flexor, it is not the part that directly inserts but slightly below that where the pain is, so I do not think it is the tendon, but rather the muscle.

What am I to do next? I really think that if I go and see another doctor/professional it will not help. I have not been running for the last 2 months and have been icing the area, taking Voltaren and NOTHING SEEMS TO HELP! The doctors just prescribed Celebrex and Ibuprofen, but this is opbviously not treating the cause!! I did one of the Energade Triathlon series triathlon on Sunday because I thought that I had rested enough, and I think that aggravated the pain in the left hip flexor, I really thought it would be better by now. Although I was to running for the last 2 months I have been swimming and spinning. There is no pain when I do these two sports, only when I run.

Please help!
Desperate.

Dear Desperate ironman
Hip flexor injuries are notorius for becoming chronic and except for everything you did already, it seems that the correct rehabilitation and strengthening of the muscles are crucial. The only thing that worries me is that the mechanism of the injury does not really fit in with what happened to you. Hip flexor strains usually happens due to a sudden contraction of the hip flexor muscles (particularly in a position of stretch). They often occur during sprinting or kicking activities. I wonder if the next step is not to have a MRI or sonar of the area to confirm that the injury is definitely a hip flexor strain? Have you seen a doctor that specializes in sport injuries or an orthopedic specialist? It may be necessary to get a cortisone injection in the affected area.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/10/20

Dear Desperate ironman

Reply to cyberdoc