Question
Posted by: desperate ironman | 2009-10-20

hip flexor injury

Dear Doc,

Hi I have a sports injury that noone in the health professions seems to be able to help me with: I am at my wits end! I have been to see a physiotherapist, a podiatrist, biokineticist and a medical doctor and I am fed up.

I am a triathlete and I completed my first Ironman Triathlon this year. I have been a cyclist for many years. About 3 months ago now, I was doing a 10km run on a treadmill and I had my ipod lying on the treadmill in front of me and was running slightly uncomfortably\, with the ipod getting in my way on the left. Ever since that day I have had pain in my left hip flexor and it was at first worst on running but now it is even there when I am not running and just walking. I have been given Celebrex and all sorts of non-steroidals, but I feel like nothing is treating the cause. It is more of a generalized pain to the front of my thigh, bit when I feel for the hip flexor, it is not the part that directly inserts but slightly below that where the pain is, so I do not think it is the tendon, but rather the muscle.

What am I to do next? I really think that if I go and see another doctor/professional it will not help. I have not been running for the last 2 months and have been icing the area, taking Voltaren and NOTHING SEEMS TO HELP!The doctors just prescribed Celebrex...I did one of the Energade series triathlonson Sun because I thought that I had rested enough, and I think that aggravated the pain in the left hip flexor, I really thought it would be better by now. Although I was to running for the last 2 months I have been swimming and spinning. There is no pain when I do these two sports, only when I run.

Please help!
Desperate.

HI there

Wow, that's a tough one, given that you've been personally seen by four people. I'd have thought the bio would be able to do more than just prescribe medicine for it. It sounds to me that you may have dislocated the head of the femur or strained the muscles, but that really is a guess.

Have you seen a specialist in sports injuries? A general medical doctor is often ill equipped to help with this kind of question. A podiatrist too, and a physio, depending on the person. The bio should be the one to help, so I'm a little surprised. Don't forget that you do find huge differences in quality between the people, and maybe you've just been really unlucky. You probably need a better referral.

Let me know if you do, I can try to provide one.

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009-10-27

HI there

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc