Question
Posted by: michelle | 2008-11-15

hip dysplasia?

I recently took my Alsatian to the vet because his hind legs have become very weak. The vet said he could have hip dysplasia. He gave me a joint supplement and anti-inflammatories. Its been over a month and my dog seems to have detiorated. He' s 9yrs old, is there anything else I can do?

Dear Michelle

With the breed and age it could be nerve deterioration as well. Best to have x-rays done.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2008-11-15

Yes, you can take the dog back to the vet, and tell him to do some x-rays to make sure of the diagnosis. Given the dog' s age and breed, hip dysplasia seems a likely guess, but there' s a possibility it' s something else.

Are the anti-inflammatories Rimadyl? If so, then while it doesn' t ' cure'  the condition, it should certainly have made a difference to the dog' s comfort level.

I don' t know how far you want to go in helping your dog - or, how far you' re able to go, for that matter - but if dysplasia is the problem, then there are a couple of surgical options - ranging from a stop-gap procedure right up to a hip replacement - be warned, though, that' s not cheap. If this looks like something you may want more info on, ask your vet for a referral to a specialist veterinary surgeon - or post your whereabouts on here - I can recommend someone if you should be in Cape Town.

Reply to Chill