Question
Posted by: Hippy | 2009/12/17

Hip displacia

I have a five year old Golden Retriever cross that was diagnosed with Grade 1 hip displacia in one hip at the beginning of the year. Recently she has started limping. After examining her and saying he didn' t feel anything, my vet has put her on Petcam, once a day. Some days I give it to her twice a day as she is still limping in the evening.

Is this normal for Grade 1 hip displacia? Coult it be that the Petcam is not working? Could it be indicative of somethign worse i.e. osteosarcoma?

I telephoned my vet to ask if I was just being overly concerned but after 10 years of taking my money, he obviously feels no obligation to return calls.

Dear Hippy

give the Petcam only once a day and start her on mobiflex as well. Tavan SP injection also works very well.

2
Posted by: Cybervet | 2009/12/29

Dear Hippy

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Kate | 2009/12/23

Hi there my 1 year old lab x was diagnosed with stage 2 hip dysplasia in both hips at 7 months.
I had her on mobiflex and she was doing really well on it but have since converted to Mobility HA which is a product for horses because of the hyluronic acid. Not to sure but will give it a try and if not happy I will go back to mobiflex.
Any joint supplement with chondroitin, glucosamine and msm should do the trick.
I also did an intensive 2 month hydro therapy session with her and excercise her at least 4 days a week (gentle excercise) in order to build and maintain muscle.
On bad days she gets a homeopathic remedy for pain.
At 5 your retriever might have arthritis which is perhaps more a cause for the discomfort than the hip dysplasia - just a guess and not a diagnosis.
Good luck and keep us updated

Reply to Kate