Question
Posted by: Shez | 2008/10/02

hip athroscopy

I have a major dislocation in my hip when i was young and have been experiencing pain in the hip and back pain as well. My CT scan showed a flake fracture and loose bone fragments in the hip. I saw a Dr oosthuizen who referred me to a Dr de Wilde as he recommends i would need a hip athroscopy to prolong a hip replacement one day. I have been told that not many doctors in JHB do this procedure which is why I was referred to Dr De wilde. Is this true?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Shez
I really cannot answer this question, and I'm sure that Dr oosthuizen would know better about that. I do think removing the bone splints is a good idea as it can cause osteo-arthritis in the hip joint which then ultimately would require a hip replacement.