Question
Posted by: Casual runner | 2010-09-16

Hip area muscle / tendon strain

Hi. I run (5km''s), gym and do yoga regularly. Recently during a longer run, I strained a muscle / tendon on the outside of my hip. I rested and made sure to stretch regularly while on a break but I''ve recently caused re-injury after a short " test"  run. Sometimes I feel the tightness more in the buttock side and often in the groin/quad joining area. The pain doesn''t extend to the knee area. Could I have pinched a nerve as well as have a strained muscle / tendon and is rest the best self-treatment for it? I''ve been using an Arnica rub which helps. How long should the rest period be for a strain?

Rest is obviously important, but you might also need to more systematically and progressively do the rehab for it. The referred pain suggests that maybe a nerve was damaged, yes. Either way, I think rest and working at strengthening the muscle - the biggest problem after injury is that even when the muscle is healed, it has "forgotten" how to do its job, so you have to relearn that control of movement. So that means doing balance exercise, some slow contractions etc - all of which, I hate to say, are best done under supervision of a trained bio or physio's watchful eye.

But in terms of how long, depends on the severity of the muscle strain - one to two weeks, followed by some rehab, for a milder strain.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010-09-20

Reply to fitnessdoc