Question
Posted by: A | 2012-02-13

hip and knee pain

The ortho pedic forum does not answer so I am trying you:I have for some years suffered intermittent bearable(not requiring painkillers) pain in my left hip.I thought it might be arthritis. Recently I started practising yoga and the exercises which are designed to "  open"  the hip joints are proving exceptionally difficult and painful. Examples are crossing my legs (this is something which has always been uncomfortable, nearly impossible, for me and now it is worse) or any variation of this. Also the tree pose, where you stand with one foot against the other inner thigh, rotating the bent knee laterally (impossible for me, I have no balance at all, cannot get my foot high enough and rotating the knee outward causes pain. Also lying on my side and lifting the top left directly sideways hurts. There are many more positions that hurt my hips and cause pain down the outside of my thigh to and including my knee joint. I also get the pain I think it is the ileo sacral joint. I get muscle cramps on my buttock, back of thigh and calf. Sometimes it feels like my left side is a bit lame and I limp. It''''s a lot worse on the left but present both sides. Straight forward bends from the hip are no problem and I can stretch far like that. Do I need to be concerned or should I just persevere carefully?. (My yoga instructor is highly qualified and very careful) Do you have any idea what could be wrong with me?

It is possible that you have severe osteoarthritis of your hip joints and I suggest that you consult an orthopedic surgeon for an examination and x-rays. Depending on the severity, spesific treatment will be given.