Posted by: Helen | 2009-04-20

hip &  elbow displaysia in 18mth old dog

I adopted 3 SPCA specials (I think boerboel labrador cross) and have just found out that one has Grade 5 elbow displaysia and Grade 4 hip displaysia. She is now on Rimadol, 6 weekly cortisone injections and Mobiflex on her food. Prognosis doesn' t look good. Is there anything else I can give her to make her life easier?

Dear Helen

Nothing at the moment. If she comes off the cortisone and rimdadyl you can consider a course of Tavan SP injections. Discuss this with your vet.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-04-20

You can try getting Fortiflex - beware, it' s damn expensive! - with which I' ve had good results. It helps to prevent the loss, and promote the formation, of cartilage, the wearing-away of which is what causes the actual pain in the dog.

You could also try some stuff that was recommended on this forum some time back, which is made for horses with joint problems but can equally be used for dogs: called flex-o-joint and flex-c-joint - use both in combination. If you google it, you' ll find the suppliers, or try horse shops - they may well stock it. It' s much much cheaper and also seems to work well.

Other than that, and what the cvet suggests, your only course of action is surgery, but obviously that' s very expensive and your dog would have to be eligible for it.

Keeping the dog' s weight well down goes without saying - any extra weight strains the joints. You should be able to feel the ribs without difficulty, but not see them from a distance, and the dog should have a distinct ' waist' , and not much belly. Get your vet to help you assess this, and advise you. It' s not always easy to decide whether your own dog is too plump or not!

Reply to Chill