Question
Posted by: Angela | 2011/11/14

Hiking

Hi Ross,

I am interested to know how hiking burns the same energy as jog / walking?
This past weekend I did a 3 hour hike and only felt out of breathe when walking uphill or up the " stairs" ... when I try jog/ walk I feel like I''m going to keel over and die after just a few minutes of jogging, and then I have to walk for a bit to catch my breathe.

I love hiking and happy that it appartently expends so much energy, but have to ask .... will this actually make me loose weight if I do a hike every weekend, and is hiking considered cardio exercise or does it just tone?

Thanking you in advance for your reply.

Angela

Hi Angela

No, not at the same rate. Running burns probably in the range of 13 to 16 kcal/min (and up to 22 kcal/min if you run as fast as a Kenyan!), whereas for walking, you're looking at 6 to 10kCal/min, depending on speed

So a 60 min session burns maybe 50% more if you run. The key is that you can hike a lot longer than you run. So that 3 hour hike burns maybe 6 kCal/min, and that's worth 1000 kCal, the equivalent of more than an hour of running. So then the overall result is that hiking is better, purely from a calorie point of view.

It's not as simple as that, of course. But the general idea is correct.

So yes, hiking will help, but you have to manage the other side of the equation which is diet. If that's not correct, then all the training in the world will be ineffective, and so address this if you can as well. If you're training hard, and nothing is happening, then it's definitely worth looking at diet.

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/11/27

Hi Angela

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc