Question
Posted by: lex | 2009-08-21

High white blood cell count

Im 18wks pregnant and on each visit to the gynae i' ve had too have blood test done becasue of my white blood cell count being high. I don' t feel sick or anything. Can this be harmful to my baby and what could it be?

I am not sure why you had the initial test to check your white cell count. A high white cell count usually suggests an infection, but it can be higher than normal just from the pregnancy. It really depends on how high it is and what the trend is. Ask your doctor to explain what he/she thinks the problem is.