Question
Posted by: Loyiso | 2011/01/24

High Uric Acid

I have just done my routine blood tests including the uric acid. It was found to be very high. It''s been like close to 0.50 since last year. I was put on uric acid 100mg then to reduce it. It apparently has made no effect. I am now on 300mg and will have to go for another test in a month''s time. I am afraid it is beginning to affect my kidneys. The results from kidneys test showed a slight elevated reading and the doctor said it could be a reaction from the high uric acid. Is there another way of reducing it? What foods to avoid or reduce?

Hallo Loyiso
High uric acid is a hereditary condition and taking 300 mg Allopurinol per day usually brings the uric acid down if you take it regularly for a few months (one usually needs to take it longterm). Uric acid in itself usually does not damage the kidneys. Avoid foods rich in purines (a protein) like
•Beer, other alcoholic beverages.
•Anchovies, sardines in oil, fish roes, herring.
•Yeast.
•Organ meat (liver, kidneys, sweetbreads)
•Legumes (dried beans, peas)
•Meat extracts, consomme, gravies.
•Mushrooms, spinach, asparagus, cauliflower
High uric acid can cause gouty arthritis

2
Posted by: Loyiso | 2011/01/24

I meant to say i am on puricos.

Reply to Loyiso
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/01/24

Hallo Loyiso
•Beer, other alcoholic beverages.
•Yeast.
•Legumes (dried beans, peas)
•Meat extracts, consomme, gravies.