Posted by: R | 2008-12-04

High systolic pressure at 28?

I am a 28 year old male with mild, well controlled asthma, diagnosed in 2006. Early this year (2008) I was hospitalized for a few days with viral hepatitis (the tests ruled out hepatitis A, B and C, according to the doctors, and it was a mystery virus that caused it). I think I am fully recovered from the hepatitis, and when I did an insurance medical, the liver enzymes were back to normal.

I first went to gym in 2006, and the blood pressure machine there said my blood pressure readings were high. My friends readings'  are always much lower. I measured at various times over the last 2 years, and at different gyms, and got consistently high readings. I didn' t pay much attention, but I did a wellness check at a pharmacy by a nurse this year (after the hepatitis), and I was again told it was high, as well as being told that at a wellness day at work.

I have an older relative who is a GP, and he said that my systolic pressure was high, but the diastolic pressure was normal, so I could ignore it. However, when I go to gym I still get warnings.

1. Should I be concerned about having a high systolic pressure at my age?
2. Could this be related to the viral hepatitis I had?
3. Could this be related to the steroid inhaler I use, or steroid nasal spray?

Dear R
The modern thought is that isolated high systolic (upper blood pressure) is also dangerous and should be treated. It is probably not related to the steroid or the viral hepatitis. RAther discuss with a physician as I think it should be treated