Question
Posted by: bb | 2010/09/15

high sugar levels

dear Doc
My 16 year old daughter suffers from hypothyroidism and is on 0,1mg eltroxin.
For the past 6 months, her blood sugar levels are quite high.A GTT revealed a fasting sugar of 6.3 and a 2hr reading of 12.1.
She is quite active (does karate on an average twice a week) and gyms twice a week. I try to keep her meals as low GI as possible. My observation is that her sugar levels are very high especially after exercise. Why is this so? I would like to delay the start of medication for her. What do you advise?

Hallo bb
It can be normal for blood sugar to rise after strenuous exercise due to the release of stress hormones. It may be better for her to do lower intensity exercise for 30 minutes a day (like walking/slow jogging) I suggest you see a dietician to evaluate her diet as this is the only thing you can change before starting medication.
drBets

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/09/16

Hallo bb
drBets