Question
Posted by: UNDECISIVE | 2010/08/05

HIGH SCHOOL DECISION (HELP ANYONE)

HI Doc

My teenager is 13 years old. He is going next year to High School. I would like to know who must make the decision about a High school. The parents or the child.

Thanks Doc

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi there,

ideally this would be a joint decision. There are often a number of factors affecting this, such as where friends are going, single sex vs co-ed etc. Overall, at this age you are legally responsible for choices, and parents usually have a longer term perspective on the benefits of particular schools.

If there is a major disagreement perhaps the compromise may be to try it for a year and then change schools if he is unhappy.

Having said this, it is important to hear him out and why he has made a particular choice - adults can learn a lot from young people if they set aside their views for a moment and just listen.

Hope this helps and doesnt make it even more compplicated!!

2
Posted by: Teen expert | 2010/08/18

Hi there,

Reply to Teen expert
Posted by: Tinkerbell | 2010/08/10

Talk to him about where he wants to go and why. Then tell him where u want him to go and why. Visit both schools together and then make a decision. But personally I think the decision lies by the parents.

Reply to Tinkerbell