Posted by: AnonP | 2013-02-12

High school

Our son was unhappy at his previous school, so we moved him to a new school. He is happy, but I am sad cause the other school was such a good school. I hope we have done the right thing. How do you know if it was the right or wrong decison to make?

Is any school where your son is miserable, truly a "good "school ? A happy child is far more likely to learn and succeed. Misery is not beneficial. This i by far the most important criterion by which to compare schools.

Posted by: AnonP | 2013-02-12

Thanks ladies. Yes, it makes sense, that he is happy. The move happened very suddenly, He was unhappy and this new school approached us because they wanted him to come play a certain sport at their school. We were then in a situation to make a quick decision. I just wish I could stop feeling so uneasy about this whole thing. The new school is good academically 100% pass rate. I just keep comparing the two schools and i need to get over it. It has only been a couple of days though.

Reply to AnonP
Posted by: Purple | 2013-02-12

If it was making him so very unhappy that you changed his school, it wasn''t a good school for him.

Different schools have different teaching methods, discipline methods, rules and so on, different children thrive in different environments.

The point of a school is academic, so to be considered half decent they should as a minimum have a 100% matric pass rate. As it takes a special effort to fail unless someone has a genuine learning disability, anything less than 100% denotes an incompetent school.
Outside of that, so long as they have some sort of extra mural programme, and are encouraging and positive and their values fit with your family values, and they aren''t overly petty about stupid things, most schools are probably OK.

If he''s happier there, will he not be able to do better?

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Sue | 2013-02-12

You dont say what was making him unhappy at the previous school, but if he is happy at the new school, you have to trust that you have done the right thing. Your son is the one that has to spend the majority of his day at school, so if he is happier, he will work better, be more focussed and be happier at home too.

Reply to Sue