Question
Posted by: Rose | 2010-06-28

HIGH RISK DOWNS SYNDROME

I have heard that there are often false positives with the AFP tests. What could the possible causes of false positives be? I have heard that IVF ICSI and also a vanishing twin can cause incorrect results. Is this right.

AFP is not a test for Down syndrome but for spina bifida. The best screening test for Downs is a nuchal translucency scan plus first trimester biochemistry.

2
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-06-30

Posted by: KK | 2010-06-29

Yes, these are screening tests not diagnostic tests. in lay terms a screening test is like cops at a roadblock if someone looks funny they search him but it does not mean they will find drugs on him. Not all people stopped are carrying drugs, in the same vein not all who go through the roadblock are not carrying drugs. There are a whole lot of factors causing the tests to be false positive and false negative - ranging from no reason through smoking, threatened miscarriages and missed or disappearing twins

Reply to KK