Question
Posted by: Morne | 2010/11/11

High red blood cell count

Hi guys

Since last week Wednesday, I''ve been getting headaches over my entire head. more pressure than a piercing pain. From the weekend I was extremely dizzy, and sweating from a fever. I''ve since been to the dr twice, who at first couldn''t identify the problem.

After a blood test it came back that my red blood cell count is very high, and that it can''t be treated, and its something I''ll just have to ride out.

I want to know if this is all connected, and how long it''ll last, and what I can do to get it normal. If I don''t take my meds the headache''s come back. I''ve also noticed that even though I''m drinking lots of water, my urine is still a dark brown. No burning.

Some info on me : I don''t smoke. Blood pressure is normal. I don''t stress (Except during Rugby games). I''m not a heavy water drinker, so dehydration is a possibility. I''m also not a heavy alcohol drinker. Can''t remember when last I had something with alcohol in.

Please help. I feel like I''m dying. Should I see a specialist?

Hallo Morne
Do you have neck stiffness (can you put your chin on your chest?) or nausea (signs of meningitis)
Dark urine could be due to hepatitis (infection of the liver), bleeding from the kidneys or dehydration (but you said you were drinking enough)
I think you should see another doctor for a second opinion - even if it is another GP
Let them test your urine, take your temperature and do follow up on Full blood count to check if your white cell count is going up (sign of infection). They may need to do liverfunction blood test too.
Have you perhaps been in a malaria area lately that you could have picked up malaria? if so, ask for malaria smear too

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/11/11

Hallo Morne