Question
Posted by: Jemma | 2011/04/18

high protein snacks

Dear Dietdoc, during our last holiday I found that my kids are fuller for longer on the road when I give them protein, rather than eg. low GI sandwiches. They ate 2 cheese triangles each, a handful of biltong and small piece of droee wors, and peeled& cut apples, and never afterwards complained about being hungry until we arrived at our destination. With sandwiches (and apples) in the past, they kept on asking for something to eat. I also find that I have less cravings when I eat more protein. Are there any healthy low fat, low carb, higher protein slimming diets available that I could follow to loose about 10kg?

Thank you!

Dear Jemma
One of the reasons why the children were fuller for longer when they ate the cheese triangles, biltong and “droë wors”, is that all these foods do contain protein, but also have high fat levels: for example, cheese wedges can contain up to 27% fat and 1367 kJ per 100g; biltong contains 14 kg of fat and 1348 kJ per 100g; “droë wors” can contain up to 33.9 g of fat and 1749 kJ per 100g. So let's say the children ate only 10g of each of these high-fat, high-energy snack foods, then they would have ingested 7.5 g of fat and 447 kJ, which will indeed keep them satisfied for longer. Fat is the most satiating nutrient in our diets, but it is high in energy which can lead to weight gain. It is, therefore, essential that if you intend using a high protein diet that you eat only the leanest protein foods such as fat-free cottage cheese or yoghurt, very lean meat (e.g. venison, ostrich, chicken breast without skin), white fish, and boiled or poached eggs (try not to add fat when cooking). There are plenty of high-protein, low-fat diets available but they usually are accompanied by a high fat intake which in the long run can be detrimental, so be careful when using such diets. A balanced diet with a low-fat, moderate protein content and a low-GI can achieve the same results without the high fat intake.

1

Dear Jemma