Posted by: Depressed | 2009-04-30

High Protein Diet confused Me - Pleae help!

I was diagnosed with Insulin Resistance last year and went on a low GI diet, but my weight loss was too slow for me so i decided to try a low carb diet, after 8 weeks i lost 10 kgs, which was great. It was basically protein, 1 fruit per day and veges the rest, i was allowed one dairy a day as well, no fat and no sugar. Aftet the diet i went on holiday and picked up all the weight plus more. At the moment i am trying to do low GI, but my mind is poisend against carbs, i seem to be picking up more weight by the day and feeling very depressed. i think my insulin levels are worse now as i' m tired, thirsty all the time and have to urinate constantly especially at night. I' m not sure what to do at the moment and considering joining weight watchers or weigh less. What do you suggesst.

Dear Depressed
Because of the symptoms you list, I would urge you to return to the dr who diagnosed your insulin resistance (IR) for another checkup because you may now actually have developed type 2 diabetes. If this is the case, the dr will prescribe the necessary medication to assist you in controlling your blood sugar levels. It is also essential that you go back to the low-GI, low-fat diet as this is an important factor in combatting IR and/or diabetes. Consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you with the low-GI, low-fat diet and to adjust to this type of eating. You have demonstrated for yourself that rapid weightloss results is just as rapid a weight gain once you stop the high-protein diet. If you have IR or type 2 diabetes you need to change your eating habits for life and if you do use the low-GI, low-fat diet then you will gradually start losing weight and keep it off. Ask the dr what type of exercise you can do and add a 30 min session every day to your regimen as exercise helps to control IR.