Question
Posted by: Bee | 2011/05/19

High protein diet

My dietician has put me on a high protein diet for two weeks. I have been put on this diet before and although there is a huge amount of weight loss during those two weeks it is all gained back eventually because my body feels so deprived that I basically carbo load after those two weeks. Also during those two weeks I have no energy, constant headaches and I feel very depressed. I have been on a low GI diet for a two years now and have lost 20 kg on it but felt bored after using it for such an extensive time. Basically I just want to know if being on this protein diet is any good and if you recommend that I continue with the low GI diet?

Thank you kindly.

Bee

Dear Bee
If you were bored with your low-GI diet (despite the fact that it helped you lose 20 kg - which is stunning), then I suspect your dietitian may have decided to put you on a high protein-diet just for some variety. You may find that if you have one low-GI, low-fat, high-fibre carb which each main meal during these 2 weeks, that you will feel less depressed, have more energy and perhaps not develop the headaches. It is up to you to decide it you would rather return to your low-GI diet without following the high-protein diet. However, I would recommend that you visit the website of the Glycemic Index Foundation at: www.gifoundation.com and check out the very successful recipe books that they sell. If you use the low-GI recipes in these books, you should not get bored on a low-GI diet in future.

1

Dear Bee