Posted by: DBug | 2009-07-05

high prolactin levels

I' m 27, never before had children and been trying to fall pregnant . I suffered an ectopic in January this year - fell pregnant the month after coming off the pill (was on the pill for 9years) I went for hormonal testing due to irregular periods which started in March. I had 3 regular cycles after the ectopic then no period for April, May and 3 days of spotting in June.

The doc gave me results over the phone telling me my prolactin levels are extremely high and this is a concern. He' s waiting till end of July to test levels again but didnt want to discuss anything further until then which left me a little confused.

What can be done to help levels go down? How much does treatment cost. Also I have done some research where it mentions tumors on the pituarity gland, could this be the case? What would you recommend to do from here?

Thanks for your advice and help!

The usual cause is a microtumour of the pituitary gland. The treatment is a medication called Parlodel. I think it is right ot confirm the result before starting treatment and, depending on how high the level is, further tests may be necessary.