Question
Posted by: prolactin | 2008/07/17

High prolactin

Hi, I ran a test and from the result i have high prolactin. I have moved location and on bromocriptine.
What are the implications of prolactin?i have been trying to get preg for 7 months now.How long would the treatment take nand is it possible to get preg?

Dear Prolactin

In general this depends on the level of prolactin elevation. Extremely high levels may interfere with menstrual regularity and in many patients cause total absence of menstruation. Lower levels may still interrupt hormonal balance and cause ovulatory dysfunction, which will result in infertility. It is our practise that all patients with elevated prolactin levels receive a course of treatment after investigation.

Answered by: Dr.M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Dee GTC | 2008/07/18

With a high prolactin level your body thinks its already pregnant (do you lactate?) so without medication it is more difficult to fall preg. With correct meds you will be able to fall preg. With a high prolactin level one should have an MRI done to see if you have a tumour in your pituitary gland, this is something you need to discuss with your doctor.

Reply to Dee GTC