Posted by: Cate | 2009-01-09

High pitched sounds

I have particularly sensitive hearing, despite being 66 years of age, and whistling, squeeky doors, and all sorts of high pitched sounds, including children who scream at high levels put me in a really difficult situation. Wlhistling in particular seems to have become very popular these days - many tv adverts use it and I have an instant reaction, the way someone else reacts to putting a their hand on a hot stove.

Is there any way that more publicity can be given this aspect of noise pollution? Most people think my reaction is just " annoyance" , but it is a form of pain, which they just cannot accept.

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

You may have a condition called hyperacusis - over-sensitivity to certain sounds - which has various causes, and it's worth speaking to a doctor about it. But hyperacusis or not, noise pollution of all kinds should be taken more seriously. Even for those of us whose hearing is not as sensitive as yours, the noises you describe are highly annoying and contribute to the stress of modern life (whistling is one of my worst!)