Question
Posted by: Lincoln | 2009-05-17

High Iron

Hi Doc,

I went to donate blood yesterday and I was told my iron level is VERY VERY high. Which meat has the lowest amout of iron, what food should I stay away from and what foods can I eat? Thanks.

Dear Lincoln
It is really good to receive a question from someone with a real name as I am getting so tired of all these "Anonymous" Readers!
I trust that the blood service staff also recommended that you have a medical checkup to determine if you have a condition called haemochromatosis. If this is the case, then your dr will also prescribe so-called "chelating agents" to help to lower your high blood iron levels. To reduce the iron content of your present diet you will need to cut out all red meat, all organ meats (liver, kidneys, etc), egg yolks, iron-fortified cereals and bread (all wheat bread and maize meal is fortified with iron in SA), and foods such as spinach and dried fruit. Also make sure that you do not take any vitamin or mineral supplements that contain iron as this will make the condition worse. Concentrate on eating fresh fruit, non-iron containing vegetables, poultry and white fish in small quantities, oats, rye bread, milk and dairy products.