Posted by: Lincoln | 2009-05-16

High Iron

Hello Doc,

I went to go donate blood today and they told me that my iron is too high- the machine couldn' t even read it.

What can I do to lower it? I live with my girlfriend so we have two meals together a day and she' s got LOW iron so it' s tough one to figure out what I' m eating to cause this.

I' m going to stop taking my multivitamin that has iron in and at the blood donation place they gave me a pamphlet and I read that drinking tea with my meals prevents iron from being absorbed.

I stopped smoking about 5 months ago, go through a bottle of wine a month, and I do eat quite a bit although I' m not overweight.

Please help as I' ve been getting chest pains and they said it' s because of the iron.

Please refer to the following link regarding iron overload syndrome:

I stongly suggest that you consult your doctor to have a full blood profile done, especially the blood iron levels and the blood iron storage. These tests will give a clear indication of why your iron levels are too high and treatment will be given accordingly.