Posted by: Anon | 2009-03-23

High intensity

Hello. You assisted me in a question I had previously - I want to lose a little of the fat layers, tone and become defined in my body shape. I am doing 45-60min cardio 2 times a week and machines/floor/ball/functional trainer 45-60minutes another 2 times a week in the gym - so working out 4 times a week. You suggested High intensity - what does this actually mean? Do you mean on the machines? For example are you saying that I should do perhpaps 3 sets of 15 reps on a lower weight? Does this burn more calories or does it define muscle shape? Still confused. Thanks.

Hi Anon

I was referring specifically to cardio training - periods of harder intensity are beneficial. So if for example, you are currently doing 45 minutes of cardio, then you might try to break this up into 3 minutes of higher intensity cardio (at a level that is greater than you usually do), with 6 minutes at your normal intensity, repeated 5 times. That gives 45 minutes in total, but the short periods of high intensity help a lot.

It doesn't mean you have to go out and punish yourself, but if you can weave a few minutes of harder training in among your normal activity, it definitely helps.